The Underwater Systems and Technology Laboratory (LSTS) – Laboratório de Sistemas e Tecnologias Subaquáticas – from Porto University pioneered the development and integration of autonomous and operator-assisted vehicles and sensor networks.
Developments started in 1997 with the operation of the ISURUS autonomous underwater vehicle (AUV). Since then LSTS designed and developed:
- Lightweight, man-portable AUV for coastal oceanography. (LAUV)
- Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV) for the inspection of underwater structures.
- Sensor modules for remote and/or networked environmental data collection.
- Acoustic navigation technology for multiple AUVs.
- Operational concepts for the coordinated operation of multiple AUVs.
- Control architecture for the coordination and control of multiple vehicles.